The Semi-Retired Foamer has been a railfan since he was around 5 years old, oh yes a very young age, an age when one really should avoid being involved with the gunzel community to any great extent. A few rather unsavoury people bringing that fact home.
After a few decades of train chasing, one decided to break with protocol and get married, thus leading to a severe cut in railfan activity.
Subsequent dealings with hate breeders, lunatics, mental defectives and self-appointed preservation overlords lead to an even greater decrease in my hobby participation.
However things have changed thanks to our small group of trusted mates, interest has returned, and now I have become a bit more involved yet again.
.
_
Over the years I have tried my best to further both the hobby, as well as the friendships that it brings. I have done this by setting up proactive groups both here in Australia, as well as the Philippines. It is with huge honour that I am often considered the founding father of the railfan hobby in the Philippines (my second home).
_
I don't take the hobby too seriously and I am a friend to anyone who is good and genuine. But never forgive those who have used their hate to destroy my hobby or hurt the friends within it.

Let's Make The Hobby Great Again!
I aim to share the era that I considered mine, the 80s and 90s. I also like to help promote, and even raise funds for, the various heritage societies that keep the era alive
_
**** LOCOMOTIVE/ PUBLICATIONS ****
-
We occasionally publish information on the locomotives, and rollingstock, from railways in Australia and the Philippines.
All are available for
FREE at our ALR WEBSITE.




Please email me should you wish to use anything from this site !



Wednesday, May 5, 2021

QUEENSLAND: RAILWAY FUEL TANKERS

 


Howdee one and all,

As the Python's would often say, "and now for something completely different".

Rollingstock has never been a huge interest for me, much to my regret I have always taken a shot of the locomotives and then let the rest of the train pass by largely unnoticed.

The only exception to this has been the Philippines, where I have spent two decades trying to capture an image of every item of surviving rollingstock. 

Despite this, I have taken the odd random Aussie rollingstock shot, especially of fuel tankers.

An increasing desire to make a return to modelling the Sunshine State, has seen me going in search of old shots taken through the 90s and into the 2000s.

below I have cobbled together some of the fuel train related shots I have thus far come across and scanned. Also some fuel tanker drawings I've been give.



OHO-44163 Hamilton, Brisbane



OCEM-44046 Hamilton, Brisbane


OCAM-44060 Hamilton, Brisbane


OCAM-44031 Hamilton, Brisbane

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some years ago I was given a huge amount of QR drawings, again for purposes of modelling, which have sat collecting dust for a long time.
Was planning to scan all the fuel tanker drawings to add here in this post, but realise that the number involved may well have broken the internet. :-)

So, I have picked 18 of them






Above: Mobil




Above: Mobil



Above: Vacuum Oil










Above: Caltex


If the interest exists, I have lots more fuel tanker drawings I could put up. Along with a mountain of passenger and other freight stock.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinkenba was always one of our first ports of call in Brisbane. Back in the good ol days, it was a hive of fuel train activity.

But like elsewhere in the country, the traffic has now all been lost to road transport.

1475 is seen shunting tankers in Pinkenba yard.


This one was sheer luck. We were driving to Fishermans Island when we came across 1526 shunting the now closed AMPOL siding at Lytton.


Another example of luck, while having a little explore around Maryborough, we came across 1769 and a couple of tankers.
This fascinating branch still exists today, though now it primarily serves the Downer EDI factory.


Back to Pinkenba, this time we have consecutively numbered 2117 and 2118 preparing to depart with a loaded fuel rake.


2403 with fuel tankers at Mackay.



The good ol QR blue livery has featured greatly in this post, and we finish up with more of the same.
2451D arrives at Pinkenba with an interesting variety of different tankers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------




Other Posts Of Little Or No Interest.










Visit the new Stock Station website!














No comments: