The Semi-Retired Foamer has been a railfan since he was around 5 years old, oh yes a very young age, an age when one really should avoid being involved with the gunzel community to any great extent. A few rather unsavoury people bringing that fact home.
After a few decades of train chasing, one decided to break with protocol and get married, thus leading to a severe cut in railfan activity.
Subsequent dealings with hate breeders, lunatics, mental defectives and self-appointed preservation overlords lead to an even greater decrease in my hobby participation.
However things have changed thanks to our small group of trusted mates, interest has returned, and now I have become a bit more involved yet again.
.
_
Over the years I have tried my best to further both the hobby, as well as the friendships that it brings. I have done this by setting up proactive groups both here in Australia, as well as the Philippines. It is with huge honour that I am often considered the founding father of the railfan hobby in the Philippines (my second home).
_
I don't take the hobby too seriously and I am a friend to anyone who is good and genuine. But never forgive those who have used their hate to destroy my hobby or hurt the friends within it.

Let's Make The Hobby Great Again!
I aim to share the era that I considered mine, the 80s and 90s. I also like to help promote, and even raise funds for, the various heritage societies that keep the era alive
_
**** LOCOMOTIVE/ PUBLICATIONS ****
-
We occasionally publish information on the locomotives, and rollingstock, from railways in Australia and the Philippines.
All are available for
FREE at our ALR WEBSITE.




Please email me should you wish to use anything from this site !



Tuesday, October 20, 2020

3-8-0-1 Pictorial


When we are young, we all do things that, in later life, we realise were a bit embarrassing.
These are the things that we try to keep secret, certainly they are things we would never admit too, for fear of ridicule.
I admit, as a teenager, I was often seen doing something crazy on weekends. Something few who know me will likely even believe.
That's right, I have been known to go chase that overwhelmingly popular 3801.

After all these years, it feels wonderful to get that shame off my chest and be able to share some of those trips here with you.


Gib Tunnel, just to the north of Bowral station.


3801 passing the secluded Mount Murray station on the Unanderra to Moss Vale line..


3801 leaving Picton with an down special and passing a very well used photo location..



The above two shots show 3801, and 3830 for that matter, at Eveleigh on a rather historic evening. 
The 38 joined visiting FLYING SCOTSMAN for two return trips to Gosford on SCOTSMAN's last day of operation in Australia. They had just arrived back at Eveleigh following, what was for me, one of the most memorable experiences of her visit.


Always a beautiful location for a photo, 3801 crosses over the Bargo River.
This was our lucky day, with an up freight going through soon after. Normally, that would mean our shot would have been ruined :-(


3801 races through Douglas Park with an down special.


3801 approaching Fassifern station with an up special.
To the right is the junction for the former Toronto branch


3801 at Paterson (North Coast line) on a Steamfest shuttle.


3801 arrives at Picton with an up special.


3801 and prepares to depart Picton with same.



Two photos of 3801 at Robertson station on the Unanderra - Moss Vale line.


3801 at Thirlmere.


3801 somewhere between Calwalla and Robertson I would think. Guess someone will identify it.


Finally, that 3801 again, this time around Yerrinbool.

Wow, I feel so much better after opening up about my personal shame.
Please don't mention it on the internet :-)
_________________________________________

Thank you: David A Phillips (Blackmarks Photography) and Justin Rodgers.











 

No comments: