The Semi-Retired Foamer has been a railfan since he was around 5 years old, oh yes a very young age, an age when one really should avoid being involved with the gunzel community to any great extent. A few rather unsavoury people bringing that fact home.
After a few decades of train chasing, one decided to break with protocol and get married, thus leading to a severe cut in railfan activity.
Subsequent dealings with hate breeders, lunatics, mental defectives and self-appointed preservation overlords lead to an even greater decrease in my hobby participation.
However things have changed thanks to our small group of trusted mates, interest has returned, and now I have become a bit more involved yet again.
.
_
Over the years I have tried my best to further both the hobby, as well as the friendships that it brings. I have done this by setting up proactive groups both here in Australia, as well as the Philippines. It is with huge honour that I am often considered the founding father of the railfan hobby in the Philippines (my second home).
_
I don't take the hobby too seriously and I am a friend to anyone who is good and genuine. But never forgive those who have used their hate to destroy my hobby or hurt the friends within it.

Let's Make The Hobby Great Again!
I aim to share the era that I considered mine, the 80s and 90s. I also like to help promote, and even raise funds for, the various heritage societies that keep the era alive
_
**** LOCOMOTIVE/ PUBLICATIONS ****
-
We occasionally publish information on the locomotives, and rollingstock, from railways in Australia and the Philippines.
All are available for
FREE at our ALR WEBSITE.




Please email me should you wish to use anything from this site !



Friday, August 7, 2020

NSW Steam Pt1


Am still working my way through a stack of kettle shots that is far higher than I would have thought I would have ever taken of steam locos.
More often than not, especially in my home state of 'New South Wales' a few of us would go out chasing steam trains primarily as a reason to try and get the all important diesels.
 I bet that comment just offended many :-)
Seriously though, looking back through all the photos, and looking at how little steam is operating today, I find myself pretty glad that we made the effort.
Anyway, there are far too many to put on here (I would probably break the internet), so will put up some every now and then.
------------------------------------------------------------------

No better place to start than with my personal favourites, the South Maitland Railway 10 class.


SMR31 at East Greta Junction, before moving to North Rothbury as part of their collection.
SMR31, and her other sisters at North Rothbury, have since been sold to the Dorrigo Steam Railway and Museum and will eventually move there. 


SMR10, the class leader, seen in steam at East Greta Junction.
She still resides there today.


SMR19 spent some time plinthed on display at Carrington with a few non-air coal hoppers and brake van.
Afterwards, she was moved to Kooragang Island and stored for some years.
Today she is part of the Richmond Vale Railway Society collection at Richmond Main.


Not something that would be easily recreated again. 5367 is currently isolated at the Lachlan Valley Railway Museum in Cowra. But even if she could get to a mainline, there are no tracks into Newcastle station anymore.



Sometime, but rarely, the timing can be just right.
Zig Zag Railway DD17 1049 prepares to depart Bottom Points as 8157 and 8151 pass by on a loaded wheatie.


3801 and 3642 depart Sydney Terminal back in 1988.
Imagine the online tantrums from the online gunzel police, after having ruptured a vertebrae on seeing where I was standing. LOL 


Newcastle again. OMG I can almost feel the 
endless hate posts.
Where 3801 is standing was more recently the bus terminal for Newcastle. A recent visit saw it all dug up for whatever reason


3801 climbs up through Farmborough Heights on a special passenger train to Moss Vale.


Now sitting at Robertson on her return run.


5910 crossing Spring Creek at Bombo, 
on a special to Kiama.

-------------------------------------------------------------

October 1997 saw the Junee Roundhouse 50th anniversary celebrations.
Part of the festivities included 5367 doing local shuttles out of the railway town.
The following shots were taken along the 
Junee to Griffith line during the Saturday afternoon. 




5367 crossing a trestle at Grong Grong.


5367 rounds the curve on approach to Coolamon.




We finish up with a couple of night shots taken at a location that has not yet been worked out.

There will be more shots for the kettle inclined coming soon. Be warned.

No comments: