The Semi-Retired Foamer has been a railfan since he was around 5 years old, oh yes a very young age, an age when one really should avoid being involved with the gunzel community to any great extent. A few rather unsavoury people bringing that fact home.
After a few decades of train chasing, one decided to break with protocol and get married, thus leading to a severe cut in railfan activity.
Subsequent dealings with hate breeders, lunatics, mental defectives and self-appointed preservation overlords lead to an even greater decrease in my hobby participation.
However things have changed thanks to our small group of trusted mates, interest has returned, and now I have become a bit more involved yet again.
.
_
Over the years I have tried my best to further both the hobby, as well as the friendships that it brings. I have done this by setting up proactive groups both here in Australia, as well as the Philippines. It is with huge honour that I am often considered the founding father of the railfan hobby in the Philippines (my second home).
_
I don't take the hobby too seriously and I am a friend to anyone who is good and genuine. But never forgive those who have used their hate to destroy my hobby or hurt the friends within it.

Let's Make The Hobby Great Again!
I aim to share the era that I considered mine, the 80s and 90s. I also like to help promote, and even raise funds for, the various heritage societies that keep the era alive
_
**** LOCOMOTIVE/ PUBLICATIONS ****
-
We occasionally publish information on the locomotives, and rollingstock, from railways in Australia and the Philippines.
All are available for
FREE at our ALR WEBSITE.




Please email me should you wish to use anything from this site !



Saturday, November 16, 2019




DCM 8027



One of those ghastly shots back in the early days of experimenting with slides. Like many of these slides, this one has sat hidden in a box for a few decades, waiting for the time that their horrid nature was not as important as the subject in the image.

  As is often the case, I just scanned this without really having a good look at the shot. I was able to make the number 8027 out,  but didn't initially notice the damage to the skirt. Heck, I am not even sure where I took it, but do suspect it could be 
Hope Street in Enfield (Sydney, NSW).

Thankfully, social media is full of some very knowledgeable people who can add a lot of extra information to all these old photos. One of these people is Mick McGinty, the keeper of all the spark info, and he had this to add.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 15th August 1987, DCM 8027 was leading an Interurban set to Katoomba when their was some minor work underway on the tracks under Macquarie Road overpass between Valley Heights and Springwood.
The set was held at Valley Heights for a while when a breakdown in communications resulted in the V set being authorised to depart for Springwood when it shouldn’t have. The end result was DCM 8027 collided with a pettibone tractor and killed two track workers.
The tractor became wedged under 8027 causing quite some structural damage. The car was rebuilt at Comeng and returned to service in 1989.
DCM 8027 now resides at NSW Police Academy at Goulburn.

Mick McGinty


No comments: