The Semi-Retired Foamer has been a railfan since he was around 5 years old, oh yes a very young age, an age when one really should avoid being involved with the gunzel community to any great extent. A few rather unsavoury people bringing that fact home.
After a few decades of train chasing, one decided to break with protocol and get married, thus leading to a severe cut in railfan activity.
Subsequent dealings with hate breeders, lunatics, mental defectives and self-appointed preservation overlords lead to an even greater decrease in my hobby participation.
However things have changed thanks to our small group of trusted mates, interest has returned, and now I have become a bit more involved yet again.
.
_
Over the years I have tried my best to further both the hobby, as well as the friendships that it brings. I have done this by setting up proactive groups both here in Australia, as well as the Philippines. It is with huge honour that I am often considered the founding father of the railfan hobby in the Philippines (my second home).
_
I don't take the hobby too seriously and I am a friend to anyone who is good and genuine. But never forgive those who have used their hate to destroy my hobby or hurt the friends within it.

Let's Make The Hobby Great Again!
I aim to share the era that I considered mine, the 80s and 90s. I also like to help promote, and even raise funds for, the various heritage societies that keep the era alive
_
**** LOCOMOTIVE/ PUBLICATIONS ****
-
We occasionally publish information on the locomotives, and rollingstock, from railways in Australia and the Philippines.
All are available for
FREE at our ALR WEBSITE.




Please email me should you wish to use anything from this site !



Saturday, April 25, 2009

~~ A NIGHT OF SPARK PHOTOGRAPHY ~~

Has ol Spadge finally lost the plot?

Well what does one do on a boring Friday night at home?
Much has changed in my life during recent months and the 'Semi-Retired Foamer' is slowly finding his old interest in railways dribbling its way back into him. Indeed it is dribbling back so much that, excepting my accidently running in to too many weirdos, I may again be regularly seen lineside after so many years.

So it was that the 'Semi-Retired Foamer' headed out to Heathcote to meet up with his old mate Terry for a spot of evening gunzelling.
The night gunzel was once a fortnightly event for me, I would head off to Menangle, usually with David Henderson (man whatever happened to him) to watch the passing parade of trains. This was back in the days of 44s, 45s, Gs, 422s, 80s etc etc, not to mention the milk siding shunt which occasionally added some interest.

Often enough, for a change, we would head to Cowan to watch spark locos grinding their way through. Hmmm yeah, to think we used to groan at the sight of 86s on a freight. They were considered almost as boring as a S set.
Oh how priorities change, the 86 class are gone, along with the 46s and 85s, while now the final months of the old S and R sets have put them in a completely new light.
Brought me back to thinking of the days when the single decks were on their last legs. The time spent chasing them around the system, getting as many photos and videos as possible, where once again I previously would never have looked at them.
Yes gunzels - one day we will be going mental over Millenium shots. Well probably not me, I will be pushing up daisies by then I would imagine.

Well firstly lets peruse the dribbly foamer report on passing freight trains before heading into the all important wanki, ahhmmm, photography part.

8218 8209 8239 8211 - up mt coal - 19.20
8234 8208 8129 8256 - up mt coal 20.15
8206 8244 8231 - dn coal - 20.33
8131 8109 48159 - dn ore - 20.58
8245 8258 8216 - dn coal - 22.01
8203 DL42 DL40 DL38 - up mt coal - 22.08

We were lucky to see this last one, having already walked to the cars, we ended up talking for a few minutes and saw the headlight approaching from Waterfall.

OK now, hope you have plenty of burn cream on hand,
here comes the photos!

Tangara departs Heathcote for Bondi Junction.
WOW, things that dreams are made of.

Same Tangara awaiting passengers to get off their sad backsides and on to the train.

Finally, oneof the sets I came here for turns up with a service to Waterfall.

Hmmmmmm Set S - this vehicle is unique to all the others due to, ahhhmmmm, hmmmm, well I suppose it's number. Apart from that its pretty much the same as any other one, well, except for graffiti pattern.

A bridge!
Yes it had got a little quiet.

The platforms view of an S set.



Hornbags love S Sets and so this one was very disappointed to get a Tangara!

Terry tells me it is somewhat unusual for L sets to carry
passengers stopping at Heathcote.

I suppose thusly that I should be aroused by this chance.

SWWWWWWIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ahhh yes punters, the set you have been waiting for,
Sydney's outstanding pride of the fleet.

S34

Heathcote at night with a spark entering the platform.

Ahhhhhhh how could one resist taking a break from all the horizontal toaster excitment for one minute to photograph a local hornbag.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, I had a great night and enjoyed the opportunity to photograph sparks after dark. It is something I haven't done for many years, well perhaps even a couple of decades.
I will no doubt be endeavouring to get more before they leave our rails forever.

No comments: