The Semi-Retired Foamer has been a railfan since he was around 5 years old, a very young age when one really should avoid being involved with the gunzel community to any great extent.
After a few decades of train chasing, one decided to break with protocol and get married, thus leading to a severe cut in railfan activity.
Subsequent dealings with social misfits, lunatics, mental defectives and self-appointed experts lead to an even greater decrease in my hobby participation.
However things have changed thanks to our small group of trusted mate, interest has returned, and now I have become a bit more involved yet again. Having learned to laugh, with others, at all the more 'Moronic Foamers'.
.Oh the irony that lays behind that group name and the person who set it up..
We occasionally publish information on the locomotives, and rollingstock, from railways in Australia and the Philippines.
All are available for

Monday, April 12, 2010


Monday 12th saw the family head on down Picton way to visit the Colonel and his family, enjoy a good ol Indonesian curry and sink a number of rums sourced from a rather decently priced grog shop in nearby Thirlmere.
By pure chance we learn't of some train passing through Campbelltown with a destination of Thirlmere. With gunzel hormones racing at a very dangerous level, we set forth to the road bridge at the north entrance into the yard and set ourselves up in wait of our prey.
Unlike the last time we were here for the exact same reason, this day was sunny, clear and bright, helping to make the lovely clean paintjob of 4701 shine.
Photos obtained we did the usual dash to the station to waste more memory card space at the platform and during the subsequent shunting movement back to the up main and on to the branch.
In common with the last time was the failure of the point on the up main. Whether or not this is a new problem, or they have never bothered to fix it, is unknown, although the later obviously suspected.

Colonel was frothing at the mouth, desiring to take me to a back road out of Picton that gives a beautiful view of the loop line across a paddock. Our arrival was a good 7 minutes prior to the trains and the commotion scared the last 12 hours grass consumption out of a lone cow as she dashed well away from our chosen location.

For a day that was more for socialising than trains, I think we were both happy with the results. Celebrating with the customary rum, and afternoon dribbling train guff to our very disinterested wives.

Heading back to Picton later this week for some more railway type action.

No comments: